Pinhole Gum Rejuvenation PST™
We offer several alternatives to the traditional gum grafting techniques that required removing tissue from the roof of your mouth in order to place it in the receded areas. Dr. Peavy has experience using a variety of ‘tunneling techniques” and materials and the The Pinhole Surgical Technique (PST) is one of the most recent and exciting techniques! Most of the work is done through a minimally invasive, 2mm, round incision or “pinhole”. Special instruments are used to prepare the gum tissue, collagen is placed, and the gum tissue is moved to cover as much of the exposed roots as possible.
Dr. Peavy was the the first Periodontists in North Carolina to be certified in PST and using PST and similar techniques, we have been able to treat many teeth at one visit and often all of the teeth that have recession in one session. Most of the cases are completed without sutures and patients have been reporting that they were surprised at how good it looked right away and that they managed the discomfort afterwards with over-the-counter medicines like ibuprofen or Tylenol.
Some of the key benefits of PST™ and other tunneling approaches include:
- Minimally invasive access
- Minimal bleeding, swelling, and pain as compared to grafting from the roof of the mouth.
- Immediate cosmetic benefits
- Usually doesn’t require sutures!
- Faster recovery and healing time
- Multiple teeth can be treated in a single visit
- Healthier and more attractive smile